Lead Developer - Airtime Pro
Airtime Pro is one of the leading platforms for streaming radio on the web, allowing anyone to schedule tracks and go live with their own internet radio station.
Airtime Pro is built by a nonprofit organisation, Sourcefabric, which builds a variety of open source tools for media organisations all over the world.
- You’ve been there before… You have an excellent understanding of object-oriented design and design patterns, plus you have experience working on at least a couple, large, shipped desktop software products (at least 1M LOC) or SaaS products (100K LOC).
- You’re a leader. You’re comfortable managing software projects through. the entire software development lifecycle, and the people that go with it.
- You’re a generalist… You’re fluent with a couple of programming languages, and you’re comfortable diving into new code and finding ways to improve it.
- You have a wide breadth of experience but are an expert in a handful of areas. New languages and frameworks don’t faze you.
- You know the web. You have experience building web applications with at least one major web framework.
- You know Linux like the back of your hand. You’re comfortable with a shell and have experience with a variety of open source software such as PostgreSQL and Apache.
- You’re methodical. You’re diligent with design, execution, and testing. You’re sharp. You have an excellent ability to problem solve, troubleshoot, take initiative, and are a quick learner.
- You’re analytical and a critical thinker. You’re prepared to set high expectations for yourself and your team and try to beat them.
- You’ve got ideas to spare. You will be consulted on application design and product feature decisions and you won’t shy away from sharing your expertise. You bring a lot of new ideas to the table on ways we can improve our working processes and on new technologies we can leverage.
WHILE THE FOLLOWING AREN’T DEAL BREAKERS, IT’D BE GREAT IF YOU HAD:
- A BSc or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field, MSc preferred
- 2+ shipped SaaS or desktop software products
- Deep knowledge of Linux system internals and low-level tools (think strace and gdb)
- A working knowledge of deployment and operational best practices for large web applications (continuous integration & delivery, etc.)
- Experience managing a software development team
- Well versed in modern development practices (Agile, TDD)
- A background with digital audio is a plus
Airtime Pro is architected as a multi-tenant PHP web application, with mission-critical supporting services written in Python, and a third-party audio engine rendering playback.
You’ll join a dynamic, small, and ambitious team of developers in Toronto as we create and scale out the best radio platform on the web.
As a Lead Developer, you’ll be responsible for the design and engineering of new features for our core application, but will also have the opportunity to work on many different systems. You will be supported by other developers, a DevOps team, QA, and designers.
- Lead the Airtime Pro development team and manage software development process (Agile SCRUM)
- Prioritizing development tasks
- Working with the Product Manager, Infrastructure Lead, and support team to expand the product roadmap
- Reviewing code
- Optimising codebase and pageload performance
- Maintaining Airtime Pro PHP web application
- Designing and implementing new features for Airtime Pro
- Troubleshooting and bugfixing
- Modernising the codebase
- Expanding automated test coverage
- Working with support team to increase support scalability and service
WHAT WE OFFER
We grow relationships, not just technology
At Sourcefabric, we know how to work hard, but we also know how to have fun. Our employees are so much more than their jobs, and we recognise that and celebrate it in many ways. From marathon runners to music composers, we continue to learn new and interesting things about our fellow employees every day.
- Fast-paced, small and agile teams: Work in small, agile teams that move fast and break stuff following best development practices.
- A competitive package, including flexible working arrangements, comprehensive benefits, and training opportunities to help you grow and develop your personal skill set.
- An international environment: Find yourself surrounded by talented team members from across the globe (over 14 countries to be specific).
How to apply?
HOW TO APPLY
If you believe you are the right candidate, please contact us immediately. We hope to fill this position as soon as possible.
Please send your CV, a short motivational letter, an examples of projects you've worked on (if you have a Github profile, please share the link) and your salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.