Toptal is one of the most innovative and rapidly expanding tech start-ups from Silicon Valley. With backing from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Adam D’Angelo, our platform is the fastest growing labor marketplace in the history of the Internet—connecting thousands of elite engineers all over the world. In the last four years, Toptal has become the #1 choice for tech companies requiring top-tier engineering talent and for the top 3% of freelancers looking for their next challenge.
We are looking for a Node.js Developer to be responsible for managing the interchange of data between the server and users. Your primary focus will be to develop all server-side logic, define and maintain the central database, and achieve high performance and responsiveness to requests from the front-end. You will also be responsible for integrating front-end elements built by other other team members into the application, so a basic understanding of front-end technologies is necessary as well.
By joining the Toptal network, you’ll have the opportunity to work on many client projects, ranging from start-ups to Fortune 500s, with teams of highly skilled experts from around the world.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
- Freedom to choose your own schedule and choose from a variety of hourly, part-time, and full-time projects.
- The ability to work from wherever you want. Whether you prefer traveling and working from exotic beaches or spending time with your family and working from home, the choice is yours.
- Access to a thriving, collaborative community of talented peers.
- Invitations to frequent Toptal events going on around the world, including dinners, tech talks, conferences, and more.
- Extremely competitive compensation.
- Integrate user-facing elements developed by front-end developers with server side logic.
- Write reusable, testable, and efficient code.
- Design and implement applications that are low-latency, high-availability, and highly performant.
- Implement security and data protection in applications.
- Integrate data storage solutions, including databases, key-value stores, blob stores, etc.
- Build reusable, clean code with performance and simplicity in mind.
- Optimize applications for speed and scalability.
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders.
- Take smart risks and champion new ideas.
- Senior-level knowledge of Node.js and its associated frameworks, including Express.js, StrongLoop, etc.
- Sophisticated understanding of asynchronous programming, including its quirks and workarounds.
- Proficiency with server-side templating languages such as Jade or EJS.
- Experience working with server-side CSS preprocessors such as Stylus or Less.
- Basic understanding of front-end technologies, including HTML5 and CSS3.
- Deep knowledge of the considerations associated with implementing accessibility and security compliance.
- Experience implementing user authentication and authorization between multiple systems, servers, and environments.
- Experience integrating multiple data sources and databases into one system.
- Strong understanding of the fundamental design principles behind a scalable application.
- Familiarity with the differences between multiple delivery platforms, such as mobile vs. desktop, and how to optimize output to match each specific platform.
- Ability to create database schemas that represent and support business processes.
- Ability to implement automated testing platforms and unit tests.
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools such as Git, Mercurial, or SVN.
- Be willing to help your teammates, share your knowledge with them, and learn from them.
- Be open to receiving feedback.