Toptal is one of the most innovative and rapidly expanding tech start-ups from Silicon Valley. With backing from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Adam D’Angelo, our platform is the fastest growing labor marketplace in the history of the Internet—connecting thousands of elite engineers all over the world. In the last four years, Toptal has become the #1 choice for tech companies requiring top-tier engineering talent and for the top 3% of freelancers looking for their next challenge.
We are looking for a Ruby developer motivated about building a variety of Ruby applications, including projects ranging from web development with Ruby on Rails, to complex groups of back-end microservices, to command line utilities and data processing scripts. Your primary responsibility will be to design and develop applications and to coordinate with the teams working on different layers of the infrastructure. Thus, a commitment to collaborative problem solving, sophisticated design, and building quality products is essential.
By joining the Toptal network, you’ll have the opportunity to work on many client projects ranging from start-ups to Fortune 500s with teams of highly skilled experts from around the world.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
- Freedom to choose your own schedule and choose from a variety of hourly, part-time, and full-time projects.
- The ability to work from wherever you want. Whether you prefer traveling and working from exotic beaches or spending time with your family and working from home, the choice is yours.
- Access to a thriving, collaborative community of talented peers.
- Invitations to frequent Toptal events going on around the world, including dinners, tech talks, conferences, and more.
- Extremely competitive compensation.
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable Ruby code.
- Ensure the best possible performance, quality, and responsiveness of applications.
- Identify bottlenecks and bugs, and devise solutions to these problems.
- Help maintain code quality, organization, and automation.
- Apply scalable application fundamental design principles as needed.
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders.
- Take smart risks and champion new ideas.
- Excellent understanding of the syntax of Ruby and its nuances, and a knack for writing clean, readable Ruby code.
- Solid experience with object-oriented programming.
- Understanding of functional programming style in Ruby.
- Ability to write reusable Ruby libraries that may be used in expressive ways.
- Familiarity with important concepts including MVC, Mocking, ORM, and RESTful.
- Experience with popular web application frameworks, such as Rails and Lotus.
- Familiarity with command-suite libraries, such as Thor and GLI.
- Experience with both external and embedded databases.
- Ability to create database schemas that represent and support business processes.
- Ability to implement automated testing platforms and unit tests.
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git, Mercurial, or SVN.
- Familiarity with development aiding tools, such as Bower, Bundler, or Rake.
- Familiarity with continuous integration.
- Be willing to help your teammates, share your knowledge with them, and learn from them.
- Be open to receiving feedback.