Experienced Mobile Engineer
Loco2's mission is to make booking trains anywhere in Europe as easy and affordable as possible, from epic international adventures to everyday local commutes. Our booking coverage is unrivalled and growing.
We're looking for an experienced mobile engineer to join our growing engineering team. You will help us deliver a world-class mobile experience through our hybrid iOS app, combining fully native views with our Single Page Application (see below).
At Loco2 we care deeply about building an inclusive, open and supportive work environment. We behave with respect for people and the planet and are seeking a diverse range of candidates that share these values.
We're a small, passionate and cosmopolitan team, with a healthy remote-first culture and an office in London. Our success is built on trust, empathy and shared knowledge, with our users at the centre of what we do. We're proud to have an average rating of 9.3 out of 10 on Trustpilot after 22,000 reviews.
We’ve been selling tickets since 2012, and we’re growing rapidly as the business matures. Our goal is to scale effectively whilst continuing to delight our users.
Why join us?
- We have high codings standards, and follow best engineering practices
- We strive to learn and improve together in a supportive environment as the wider tech ecosystem evolves
- We offer flexible hours and a well-designed remote working culture built on trust. Work around your schedule and when you’re most productive
- Our days are not full of meetings and needless distractions, allowing others to achieve flow is a big part of supporting each other
- Everyone is encouraged to ask questions, think creatively and suggest new working practices. We have a small team so your voice will be heard
Tech stack and role description
Our current mobile applications are hybrid, mixing fully native views with numerous embedded web-views, presenting parts of our mobile website.
We’re sticking with the hybrid approach (i.e. we don’t intend to ever have fully native apps) but are now transitioning our traditional multi-page web application to a React-powered single-page application. We’re hiring separately for experienced front-end developers to accelerate this transition.
Once we’ve transitioned to the SPA, lots of functionality/UX will be identical across our mobile website and applications, but there remain areas where we’ll need to use native functionality. One of Loco2’s main goals is to be useful to customers when they are travelling, and building an exceptional mobile UX that feels truly native is one of our biggest goals for 2018.
Whilst we don’t expect you to be a master of all of the following technologies, our current software stack consists of:
- A hybrid iOS app written in Swift
- A hybrid Android app written in Kotlin
- A traditional multi-page web application written in Ruby on Rails, using CoffeeScript and SCSS
- A Ruby library for communicating with train booking APIs
- AWS hosted Docker infrastructure, with continuous delivery
An ideal candidate:
- Has 3+ years of professional mobile application development experience
- Solid experience with native iOS development
- Takes pride in their craft and adheres to industry best practices such as testing, code linting, peer review and clean modular maintainable code
- Has a keen appetite for self-improvement and growth, but doesn't hesitate to ask for help when needed
- Strives to discover and understand the root cause of problems, suggesting new and improved solutions, rather than treating the symptoms
- Is fluent in English and confident communicating and sharing complex information and learnings with both technical and non-technical team members
- Can work hours that have some overlap with London daytime
- Is motivated by Loco2's mission
How to apply
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about your skills and experience, plus include links to any relevant public repositories. You can send a CV if you want, but we particularly like reading a well-written email instead/as well.
Unfortunately, we can currently only accept applications from within the EU (including the UK) or from candidates who already hold a valid UK working visa.
There are some specific questions we'd like you to answer (feel free to be brief if you’d prefer to elaborate in other areas):
- What are some of the most challenging/interesting programming tasks you have worked on?
- Why do you want to work for Loco2?
- What country and timezone do you live in?
- What are your approximate salary expectations? (please state currency)
We welcome applications from everybody, regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation.
To try to make the hiring process as fair as possible, if we are interested in your application, then you'll be asked to complete a programming challenge which is judged anonymously. We deliberately anonymise responses to this task in order to mitigate any inherent biases in this regard.
Our emphasis is on finding somebody with demonstrable skills rather than somebody who is good at self-marketing. This process helps us focus on that.
How to apply?
Please email your application to email@example.com addressing the specific questions listed above. Please note that we do not respond to approaches from recruitment agencies, and emails will be marked as spam.