This job has been posted a while ago and might no longer be available.
Front-end Engineer (Design team)
We’re Help Scout. A company you’ve heard of before, or maybe not, but either way you’ve landed on this page because you were at least a little curious, and we like that about you. We spend our time making it easier for SMBs to talk with their customers. Today Help Scout is used by more than 8,000 businesses in 140 countries.
We’re looking for someone who’s really smart, and humble, and thorough, and meticulous, and self-motivated, and kind, and a little funny, and tenacious, and did I say self-motivated? Well, that’s because we’re a remote company! Being remote is fantastic, it’s empowering, and it’s perfect for people who like to be their own boss and push themselves to be at their very best every day. It’s also perfect for people who hate wearing pants or enjoy going out for ice cream at 4:18pm because it was nice outside and they just felt like it.
That’s where you come in! If you’re a Front-end Engineer with those qualities, chances are you would love to work at Help Scout.
- You love writing beautiful, scalable, semantic HTML and CSS. As a matter of fact, it’s what you are best at.
- You have a love for design and are at your best partnering with designers to bring a project to life. You take Sketches and Sketch files, transform them into fully-functioning code, making sure every pixel and interaction is perfect and up to spec.
- You love to build things that are intuitive for everyone to use, and you understand that whenever possible, code shouldn’t constrain creativity.
- Your eye for animation and motion is as strong as your eye for a static design. You have a real knack for implementing these sorts of enhancements as a design comes together.
- You’re a systems thinker, passionate about writing code that scales and stands the test of time. Most importantly, it’s code anyone can understand and enhance without asking you for help.
- You’re always looking for new ways to stay on top of your craft as the industry evolves.
- You are pretty psyched about tools like Seed and Jekyll, a couple of open source projects that power our website. We sure do like them a lot.
- The idea of helping to move our business forward on three vectors — Growth, Content, and Brand — is really exciting and empowering to you.
About the role
- This role sits on the Design team, not Engineering. Although you love to code, the design/interaction side of things has always been your specialty. We believe code, animation, and interactions are just as central to the design as the pixels are.
- You’ll be spending the majority of your time working on our marketing website, creating new pages, re-working old ones, and generally helping us create a brand experience that resonates with people so much that they want to be a customer.
- Sure, you’ll be writing a lot of code. But we also need someone who can take a step back, see the bigger picture, and look to make an impact on the business as a whole, driving sales, building a beautiful brand that stands out and creates an emotional connection with people.
- You'll also have freedom to refactor, implement changes, or develop processes that you feel like will benefit everyone’s workflow. The work you do will help many of your teammates be at their best and work efficiently. Pretty exciting, right?
- Since you'll be the most technical person working on the marketing site, many folks will lean on you for advice and direction. You’ll help them level up their coding skills, familiarize them with the codebase, and empower them to work more independently.
- You'll often be responsible for driving(or co-driving) projects forward, communicating with others about tasks and milestones. Your perfectionist tendencies lead you to be quite organized, and a pleasure to work with.
Our marketing site is powered by a single Jekyll instance, which has a complicated build process. It's a delicate dance between tools like Node.js, Ruby, Gulp and some other packages to optimize our website for flexibility, speed, and scale. Having experience with these sorts of environments would be tremendously helpful.
- Competitive Salary - We pay at or above market salary in most cases and evaluate a lot of research to make sure everyone is paid well. The formula we use to calculate all salaries is public to employees and is improved upon regularly.
- Work anywhere - Work from our office in Boston or anywhere else, provided you have 4 hours of overlap with the team. We’ll even buy your home office furniture or help you pay for a co-working space.
- Health and dental insurance - We cover you and your family's health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we'll cover you on our Aetna policy.
- Long-term/Short-term Disability Insurance & Life Insurance - we cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST Disability insurance and base Life Insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider.
- International Benefit Stipend - If you’re based outside the US, you’ll receive a monthly stipend that goes towards covering medical insurance, long and short-term disability, and accountant costs.
- Flexible vacation - Take time off when you need it, we trust you.
- Paid parental leave, including adoption and foster care - 12 weeks for the primary caretaker and 4 week for the secondary caretaker.
- 401k with 1% match- 1% Retirement Plan matching for both US and International Employees
- Personal development stipend - Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
- Great tools - Each employee receives a Mac laptop and 27'' display (or equivalent). We’ll also purchase any of the software or hardware you need as well as high-end furniture to get your home office started
- Complete transparency - Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Help Scout is made by roughly 70 people in 40+ cities around the world, all with a passion for excellence in their craft.
We come from diverse backgrounds and are united by an enthusiasm for great products and delightful customer experiences.
Since launching in April of 2011, Help Scout now powers 8,000+ support teams in over 140 countries. Our software is used and trusted by businesses of every shape and size.
Designed to go the distance
Our mission is to foster the world’s customer-centric businesses by providing tools that serve customers in the most human, helpful way. While growth is important, team and values are paramount. We’re always striving to do impactful work we’re proud of in lieu of chasing overnight success.
We’re builders without borders
Our entire team is free to work remotely from wherever they choose. We overcome remote challenges through transparency, trust, and video conferencing. The reward is worth the effort—we’ll take talent, skill, and diverse perspectives over local geography any day.
Above all, we want Help Scout to be a place where passionate people can do their very best work. You won’t find any ping-pong tables or kegerators here. Instead, you’ll be surrounded by driven, supportive teammates who will push you to be better. We take work/life harmony seriously, too, as we want every career at Help Scout to be a long and satisfying one.
Diversity & Inclusion
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.