Hi, I’m Brian, Director of Product at Customer.io,
I’m looking for a Product Manager to join our team who has experience working on customer lifecycle analysis, behavioral messaging, or growth marketing. We need your perspective to help us craft our product with deep empathy for the challenges facing B2C product teams.
Our product work is done by squads: small groups of engineers, designers, and a product manager like you, focused on solving a customer problem. You’ll lead one of these squads. Together, your squad will have autonomy to own key parts of our roadmap and build the things that will have the greatest impact on solving customer problems. Alongside this ongoing product development, you’ll help us study product usage patterns across our entire customer lifecycle.
The work you do here will raise the bar for the everyday communications we all receive. It drives us crazy when we get useless emails and notifications that feel like spam from companies we admire. Despite how poorly some companies communicate, we don’t think marketers are bad people. In fact, we believe they care about their customers, don’t want to waste their time, and simply don’t have the tools to do better. At Customer.io we’re on a mission to give our customers the superpower of sending and tracking great email, SMSes and push notifications.
Our customers are marketers, growth hackers, and engineers who are always dreaming up fresh ideas for how to be genuine and personal in their messages to customers. We help businesses send relevant messages based on what people do or don’t do when using a web or mobile app.
What will you be doing?
- Dig into tons of feedback, and understand what customers really want when they say, "I want this feature!”
- Driving solutions to production while keeping scope in check and validating progress with customers
- Work closely with our marketing team to practice what we preach: ensure that we get the right data from our own app, and send industry-leading automated messaging experiences to our own customers
- Partnering with marketing, sales, and support to implement anything needed (docs, blogs, presentations, etc) to ensure customers get every bit of value from features we ship
- Defining success metrics for features, reporting results after shipping, and proposing future iterations based on results
You’ll be working with...
- Brian, Director of Product, to define a roadmap that balances customer problems, our strengths, and our market position.
- Kristina, Sr Product Manager, your partner in ensuring that the work we’re doing across squads comes together in one cohesive whole. You’ll regularly collaborate and support each other in reaching your goals.
- An engineering and design team who is passionate about the product. They’ll help you get the details right and make sure it’s going to scale flawlessly!
- Partners in data, marketing, sales, and customer support. We’re a tight-knit company where you’ll get a stream of customer insight and have the opportunity to holistically shape the way the product is experienced.
What will you bring to the table?
You’ve got an infectious energy when sharing customer stories. You’ve seen what happens when a team gets aligned around the customer’s journey throughout a product and are on a mission to help every team you work with achieve that understanding.
Your north star is that lightbulb moment when your customer’s underlying motivation becomes apparent. It’s the moment where your mission becomes clear and you’re leaping out of your seat to share that insight with your team and find the solution.
You’re hungry to learn, and you love to ask “Why?” one more time. Whether it’s uncovering the true motivation of a customer or the root cause of a disagreement about priorities, you’re always curious and seeking to identify the piece that completes the puzzle.
You’re scrappy and self-directed when it comes to problem-solving and working on multiple projects at once. You’re looking to work with a startup where you’ll be responsible for the impact you make and have a lot of freedom. Working with folks in different timezones will be standard issue for you around here, so being able to stay determined, even when the answers aren’t in front of you, is essential.
You are a proactive communicator. You strive to be articulate and empathetic in your interactions and believe in “working out loud” to share work early and helpfully. You’re an excellent written communicator who values clarity and brevity while avoiding jargon.
Bonus! Not a requirement, but shout about it if you have experience with...
- Using Customer.io in a previous role
- Experience with Looker, Mode, Segment, SQL or similar
- Marketing Technology and/or SaaS Companies
Why should you work with Customer.io?
Work at our head office in Portland, OR or anywhere in the world you want. We want to enable you to do your best work, and this is how we aim to do that—
Competitive salary - We’re offering $80,000-$100,000 USD depending on experience for this position in the company.
Equity - You'll own a piece of the company. It's not a get-rich-quick deal, but if you stay around for a while, we're planning to be a long-lasting company and your piece of it may be a nice bonus.
Big Impact - Our team is small, but growing quickly. The work you do will materially impact how successful we are as a company.
Great Tools - Everyone in the company has a budget for a computer, a motorized standing desk, Steelcase Leap office chair, external monitor, and anything else you'd like to get your job done.
Health Benefits - We pay 100% of your premiums for medical, dental and vision.
Paid Parental & Medical Leave - including adoption
Retreats - We get our whole company together once a year. We've had retreats in multiple places in the US, Iceland, Barcelona, and Romania.
Vacation - Rest and recuperation is important. We offer unlimited paid time off with a 2-week minimum per year.
At Customer.io, we’re committed to building a diverse environment, and encourage minority applicants. So far, we have team members in France, Germany, Canada, and all over the US. Our CEO and CTO grew up in Singapore and Arkansas respectively, but met in New York City. Our company culture is always evolving; people from different backgrounds bring valued perspective and thoughtfulness to the work that we do and the culture we foster.
Customer.io provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Customer.io complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Basically, we follow the law, but also like you for who you are!
Come Join Us!
Apply below, and make sure you tell us why you’re interested in the position! We’ve added a few questions that will also help us understand how you think.
- Provide a resume or LinkedIn profile
- In 10 words or less, what is the job to be done for a calendar app?
- What one company have you seen the best behavioral messaging from? What did they do?
- Describe the role of a product manager to someone who knows nothing about it.
- You're constructing your perfect sandwich. What is it? And is it cut in a triangle, horizontally, or not at all?