Senior Systems Administrator
About the Job:
Scrapinghub is looking for a Systems Administrator to join the team. This role will be responsible for the successful operations and scaling of the infrastructure and software that powers crawls of over 8 billion pages a month.
Our infrastructure stack includes Linux, Python, Docker, Mesos/Marathon, Django, MySQL, HBase, kafka, Nginx, Elasticsearch, AWS, along with our own technologies, such as Scrapy, Crawlera and Hubstorage
Due to business requirements, the post holder must be based in a European timezone.
- Write tools and scripts to provide automation and self service solutions for ourselves and other teams.
- Design new systems to support production services.
- Creatively solve scalability challenges on a rapidly expanding cloud environment.
- Help improve monitoring and identify key performance metrics.
- Proactive Research and Development - discovering and implementing new tools, emerging technology, etc.
- Disaster recovery design, implementation, and maintenance
- Troubleshooting and resolution of server/network and application issues
- 3+ years recent experience working as a Linux administrator/engineer at reasonable scale (dozens of systems) and designing/deploying ‘highly available’ solutions
- 2+ years of recent professional experience designing, developing, and operating Configuration Management solutions such as SaltStack (preferred), Ansible, Chef, Puppet or similar.
- Availability to work on European time zones
- Solid experience in Linux tuning, profiling, and monitoring
- Skills in at least one programming language: Python (preferred), Ruby, Bash, C
- Experience deploying and debugging applications running on containers as microservices
- Experience with Docker, Mesos or Kubernetes
- Solid understanding of cloud/networking/distributed computing environment concepts; including TCP/IP, HTTP, TLS, firewalls, VLANs, DNS, LDAP.
- Working knowledge of load balancing technologies.
- Highly organized, able to multitask, able to work individually, as well as within a team, and across teams.
- Excellent written English skills.
- Proven experience working remotely and collaborating in a cross functional team environment.
- Familiarity with software engineering practices, including n-tier architecture, configuration management, development methodologies (e.g. agile, waterfall, spiral, prototyping), etc.