This job has been posted a while ago and might no longer be available.
Technology at Avaaz is scaling fast, and we need a DevOps Engineer whose skills connect the worlds of Software Engineers, DBAs, and Systems Administrators. This role will support maintaining and expanding Avaaz’s infrastructure to improve the way our software is developed.
The ideal candidates will have experience in system administration, developing software using modern languages and frameworks and as well a good understanding of SQL and noSQL data stores. They will be able to advise on decisions regarding hardware performance for a given software, and will also know when we should modify the underlying infrastructure or fix a particular piece of code. They are familiar with test automation and applications that work at scale.
The DevOps Engineer does not need to be an expert in all areas, but rather have a broad range of experiences in different areas with excellent team and communication skills.
- Manage our deployment and testing infrastructure, supporting the implementation of Continuous Integration.
- Refine development processes to make interactions between Software Engineers and Administrators constant, fluid, and productive.
- Participate in architectural decision-making in support of scalability.
- Automate repetitive tasks required to maintain a secure and up to date operational environment, eventually supporting the Engineering team with hands-on coding.
- Develop, improve, maintain, and document infrastructure management systems.
- Work with other teams to build, test and roll out systems.
- 2-3 years of experience as a Software Engineer, and 2-3 years of experience as a Systems Administrator.
- 1-2 years of experience working at large-scale applications.
- 2-3 years working in Amazon AWS environments, particularly VPC’s with an understanding of the AWS API.
- Intimate knowledge of Linux (Redhat/CentOS) and at least 2 years experience managing Linux in enterprise-class environments (more than 10 servers).
- Experience with infrastructure as code (Ansible/Puppet/Chef/others).
- Experience managing application build pipelines and continuous integration environments.
- Strong fundamentals in Python/Ruby and strong bash scripting skills.
- Comfortable working with a range of storage engines (MySQL, Elasticsearch, Redis) and knowing when each is appropriate.
- Understanding of network and application security with deep understanding of all layers involved in web communications, including experience in network debugging.
- Must be a strong culture match including having a growth mindset and a deep commitment to world change and the Avaaz mission.
- Experience at large-scale web companies is a huge plus.
- Fluency in English is a requirement.
Avaaz is a virtual organisation, with most of our work done over email, telephone and Skype. Our staff are based in cities all over the world and meet at team retreats twice per year. Avaaz covers office costs, either to establish a home office or to rent one, and we support staff to house themselves in local similar organisations when preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary varies with location and experience, but is highly competitive with leading non-governmental organisations. Benefits also range with location, but include 5 weeks paid vacation per year.