This job has been posted a while ago and might no longer be available.
Experienced DevOps Engineer
We’re hiring an experienced DevOps engineer to join our existing tech team of 11 people.
Loco2's mission is to make booking trains anywhere in Europe as easy and affordable as possible, from epic international adventures to everyday local commutes. Our booking coverage is huge and growing.
We care deeply about building an inclusive, open and supportive work environment. We behave with respect for people and the planet and are seeking a diverse range of candidates that share these values.
We're a close-knit, passionate and cosmopolitan team, with a healthy remote-first culture and an office in London. Our success is built on trust, empathy and shared knowledge, with our users at the centre of what we do. We're proud to have an average rating of 9.3 out of 10 on Trustpilot after 28,000 reviews.
We’ve been selling tickets since 2012, and we’re growing rapidly as the business matures. Our goal is to scale effectively whilst continuing to delight our users.
Why join us?
- We have high coding standards and follow best practices such as continuous testing and delivery.
- We strive to learn and improve together in a supportive environment as the wider tech ecosystem evolves.
- Our team enjoys a healthy work-life balance and we don’t think caffeine-fuelled all-nighters are a good way to grow a company that’s built to last.
- We offer flexible hours and a well-designed remote working culture built on trust.
- Our days are not full of meetings and needless distractions. Allowing others to achieve flow is a big part of how we support each other.
- Everyone is encouraged to ask questions, think creatively and suggest new working practices. We are a small team so your voice will be heard.
- You will be provided with a laptop and are empowered to make changes that improve your working environment.
Role description and tech stack
As a DevOps engineer at Loco2 you'll help improve the reliability and performance of our infrastructure, work on exciting challenges as we scale to our fast-growing customer base and develop solutions to improve our automated delivery processes.
We expect this role to include the following:
- Maintain our infrastructure: Docker containers (Rails app) on AWS EC2/ECS with auto-scaling, Postgres RDS & Redis ElastiCache. Configuration is managed using Terraform.
- Improve reliability & scalability and simplify the infrastructure (Migrate to AWS Fargate, Aurora).
- Performance monitoring of various components (Rails app, database, cache), increasing visibility and alerting (we use Librato and AWS CloudWatch) and work with developers on improving this.
- Work with developers on scaling the system as we grow: we're heavily investing in marketing and partnerships, and our traffic is increasing rapidly as a result.
- Work with developers on functionality that requires infrastructure changes (e.g. storage, caching).
- Improve delivery workflows: our system is automatically continuously deployed using GitHub, Travis CI, DockerHub and DeployBot and we'd like to continue optimising this (including speeding up CI builds and deployments).
- Increase automation and maintain clear documentation of the above.
- Participate in our out-of-hours on-call rota and respond to any urgent downtime incidents.
Our current infrastructure/software stack consists of:
- Cloudflare for DNS, SSL, caching and firewall management.
- AWS hosted Docker infrastructure, with continuous delivery.
- PostgresSQL RDS instances, Redis ElastiCache clusters and S3 buckets for file storage.
- A Ruby library for communicating with train booking APIs.
- A traditional multi-page web application written in Ruby on Rails (we are in the process of migrating the front-end to a React SPA).
- A hybrid iOS app written in Swift.
- A hybrid Android app written in Kotlin.
This is what our ideal candidate might look like. You can of course still apply if you don’t meet every single one of the criteria!
- 3+ years of professional experience.
- Knowledge and experience with the technologies we are using (but not necessarily all of them).
- Motivated by Loco2's mission.
- Excited about the future of ops and product delivery, motivated to help Loco2 adopt modern technologies and processes.
- Takes pride in their craft and understands the importance of security best-practices, proactive monitoring and capacity/redundancy planning.
- Values pragmatism, simplicity, and rigorous method.
- Able to collaborate and communicate effectively, sharing complex information and learnings with technical and non-technical team-mates.
- Able to identify problems and lead the process of solving them.
- Has a keen appetite for self-improvement and growth, without hesitating to ask for help when needed.
- Fluent in English.
- Can work hours that have some overlap with London daytime
How to apply
Email email@example.com and tell us about your skills and experience, including links to any relevant public repositories. You can send a CV if you want, but we particularly enjoy reading a well-written email.
Unfortunately, we can currently only accept applications from within the EU (including the UK).
There are some specific questions we'd like you to answer (feel free to be brief if you’d prefer to elaborate in other areas):
- What are some of the most challenging/interesting projects you have worked on?
- Why do you want to work for Loco2?
- What country and timezone do you live in?
- What are your approximate salary expectations? (please state currency)
We welcome applications from everybody, regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation.
To try to make the hiring process as fair as possible, if we are interested in your application, you'll be asked to complete a challenge which is judged anonymously.
We anonymise responses in order to mitigate our own unconscious bias. Our emphasis is on finding somebody with demonstrable skills rather than somebody who is good at self-marketing. This process helps us focus on that.
How to apply?
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org addressing the specific questions listed above. Please note that we do not respond to approaches from recruitment agencies, and emails will be marked as spam.