This job has been posted a while ago and might no longer be available.
Backend (Serverless, Typescript) developer
Drops’ goal is to turn language learning into a delightful game while ensuring effective learning. Sounds fun? Our users say it is indeed! Our app is in the Appstore for 3 years, teaches 30 languages, was featured by both the App Store and Play Store multiple times - Editors' Choice on the Play Store - and the company is still run by the founders. We are a small, super-capable remote team mainly spread across Europe. We communicate via Slack, Git and Trello and run iterative development cycles, and have a release two times a week. We want to be the no.1 app for vocabulary learning and we are getting there quickly with our current user base of 4 million, a monthly active of >600,000 and an average store rating of 4.7.
You can find us here: http://drops.app.link/
You, as a backend developer will help Drops become a service, a more “connected” experience for our users. We’ll store more and more data that the user only has on their device in Aurora, connect it with multiple 3rd party services, allow them to subscribe on the web, and allow them to build a small community around learning languages.
We’re 3 front-end developers strong (frontend is in Typescript as well), who don’t get discouraged if we need to change something in the backend, but we’re looking for someone to take ownership of the codebase and our AWS infra.
You have relevant experience and are comfortable taking charge of the whole backend infrastructure we have on AWS & make decisions on structuring code and data.
This is a full-time and long-term position. You will be dedicated to this role only, hopefully in the years to come.
We value clear and honest communication and transparency, it’s the linchpin of our culture and current success and freedom.
You will be involved in both high and low level decision making and need to be available during European working hours (9AM - 6PM GMT)
You will be:
- In charge of maintaining and developing our AWS infrastructure
- Having a product mindset that helps you identify design & front-end problems as well as the ones that fall within your domain. We’re building one product team, not silos.
- Writing clear, performant code and avoid adding unnecessary state
- Writing pure functions that are easily testable
- Writing unit & acceptance tests
- Working closely with project leads to achieve the objective & help them find the corners we can cut to reduce the scope
- Working closely with the rest of the tech team to make great technical decisions
You need to be:
- Available during European working hours: 9AM - 6PM GMT
- Willing to dedicate yourself to long-term cooperation
- Able to self organise and communicate clearly in English - both verbally and in text
- Comfortable working alone, autonomously in a remote environment
- Have experience in taking charge of a complete AWS infrastructure
- Capable and have a degree or postgraduate design orientated qualification OR have equivalent work experience.
- Active in seeking feedback and able to constantly challenge yourself and others.
- Bonus points if you are able to demonstrate experience with one or more of the core landscape skills the team employes daily in the development and deployment of Drops be that project management, user centric design, language learning...
- An awesomely compact 11 person team
- Yearly educational allowance
- All the perks of remote working
- 30 days of holiday per year (excluding Christmas and other holidays)
- Quarterly team gathering somewhere in the world
- Stock options from a high-growth, profitable company