This job has been posted a while ago and might no longer be available.
Front End Engineer - Ember.js
At Customer.io our mission is to help businesses talk like people. Our customers are marketers, growth hackers, and engineers who are always dreaming up fresh ideas for how to be genuine and personal in their messages to customers. Unlike typical marketing platforms, we help businesses send relevant messages based on what people do or don’t do when using a web or mobile app. We give our customers the superpower of sending and tracking great email, SMSs and push notifications. The work we do here raises the bar for the everyday communications we all receive.
Summary of Role
We’re looking for a product-focused Front End Engineer to build fast, intuitive interfaces in Ember.js. In this critical role, you’ll have a direct impact on the product with a high degree of ownership and freedom.
Do you thrive in a fast-paced environment where ownership, customer focus, and operational perfection is rewarded? Do you detest senseless meetings and bureaucracy? If you’ve been in a 30-minute daily standup meeting that should have been 5-minutes, then you know what we’re talking about.
Our engineering team is small, collaborative and communicative, always striving to move fast and break nothing. You’ll work on features and design systems with other front-end engineers (Kevin, Adrian, & Swastik), back-end engineers (Stephen, Ian, Paul, Matt, and Jatin), and our product and design team (Ivana, Kieran, Madeline, Kate, Kristina & Brian).
Our product and engineering teams work in squads: small groups of engineers, designers, and a product manager focused on solving a customer problem. Together, your squad will have autonomy to own key parts of our product design to ensure we’re building the things that will have the greatest impact on solving customer problems.
The Day to Day
- Collaborate across multiple time zones, pairing and video calling to get work done on features, enhancements, and bug fixes to the CIO app. Working on these features will usually involve tasks like setting scope, discussing UI/UX with product design, back-end requirements with our engineering team, and prototyping.
- Continually focus on improvements: reducing tech debt, advancing the state of art, along with triaging and fixing bugs.
- Using Ember.js, implement feature sets defined by the product team—including adding to the Ember app as well as potentially writing API calls in Go. Additionally, writing (or helping write) customer-facing docs and release notes for the features you work on, to help them better come to grips with Customer.io.
- Assist with developer documentation and chores.
- Use and contribute to our CSS and UI component frameworks.
- If you want, giving lunch-and-learn talks to share what you’re doing with the rest Customer.io.
You, our new Front End Engineer:
In short, we’re looking for someone who is focused on engineering a great user experience to help us take Customer.io beyond email, empowering our customers to reach their users no matter the medium.
You'll be working in:
- Front end in Ember.js deployed as a single-page app using Ember CLI
- Back-end services in Go written for performance
Our technology stack & tools
- Travis CI
- Golang (almost entire backend)
What skills will you bring to the table?
- You are comfortable working with a designer to build well-engineered user interfaces, adding and extending automated tests, and diagnosing and fixing bugs.
- You bring new perspectives and strong opinions—whether it’s developing elegant code to tackle problems, devising new simpler testing strategies, or helping to design new user interfaces.
- You are laser-focused on the user experience.
What you’ve done?
- 2+ years of professional front-end development experience.
- 1+ year of Ember.js experience.
- SaaS (Software as a Service) experience is a plus.
- Fundamental understanding of how databases work.
- Some compiled language experience (such as C++ and/or Java)
- Experience working remotely
Why should you work with Customer.io?
Work at our head office in Portland, OR or anywhere in the world you want. We want to enable you to do your best work, and this is how we aim to do that:
Salary: We are offering a salary of up to $85,000 - $120,000 USD for this position.
Equity -You'll own a piece of the company that you help create. You’ll be recognized for your contributions by earning equity in the company.
Big Impact - Our team is small, but growing quickly. The work you do will materially impact how successful we are as a company.
Great Tools - Everyone in the company has an Apple computer and is given a budget for a motorized standing desk, Steelcase Leap office chair, external monitor, and anything else you'd like to get your job done.
Health Benefits - We pay 100% of your premiums for you and your family for medical, dental and vision and short and long-term disability.
Paid Parental & Medical Leave - Including adoption.
Retreats -We get our whole company together twice a year. We've had retreats in Barcelona, Romania, Hunter Mountain, Chicago, Iceland, and Portland, Oregon.
Vacation - Rest and recuperation is important. We offer 4 weeks of paid vacation with flexibility for more.
At Customer.io, we’re committed to building a diverse environment and encourage minority applicants. So far, we have team members in France, Germany, Canada, Pakistan, India, Australia and all over the US. Our CEO and CTO grew up in Singapore and Arkansas respectively but met in New York City. Our company culture is always evolving; people from different backgrounds bring valued perspective and thoughtfulness to the work that we do and the culture we foster.
Customer.io provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Customer.io complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. Basically, we follow the law, but also like you for who you are!
Come Join Us!
Apply below, and make sure you tell us why you’re interested in the position! We’ve added a few questions that will also help us understand how you think.
How to apply?
Sound interesting? Apply here and tell us about yourself: http://bit.ly/2wGuwoT