The elevator pitch 👋
Take the lead on fully automating our DevOps and be part of our international and collaborative team of curious remote developers building consumer tech front-ends in React/React-Native and complex infrastructure backend in Node.js (microservices). We’re looking for a DevOps developer that can craft and implement a fully automated CI/CD pipeline and institutional deployment at (massive) scale.
About us 🔮
Aula is a communication platform for education. Think ‘Slack for education’: consumer tech on the front-end yet complex infrastructure on the back-end. We’ve built Aula because we believe digital learning infrastructure should encourage community and participation-based learning.
For students, this means less one-way communication from the teacher, more collaboration with fellow students (using integrations with tools like GitHub and codepen) and easier access to student services like the welfare team - even if you’re commuting or are away from campus on a placement. We’ve recently raised a $4.2m seed round and some people think we’re worth watching out for.
The role 😼
We’re looking for a seasoned developer that can take the lead on creating a fully automated DevOps setup to make our developer team really happy.
Here’s a snapshot of what you’ll be working on:
Management of our current infrastructure.
Monitoring of our resources: dozens of network interfaces, hundreds of servers, dozens of databases, etc.
Deployment of new infrastructure resources (new institutional environments)
Integrate all the automation around infrastructure/deployments into the Aula-CLI
Create new tools to ease other developers’ lives/deployments
Create/maintain the right pipeline in order to ensure maximal automation around running our tests and deployments
Full CI/CD pipeline
We already use a number of solutions for automating repetitive and/or critical tasks. All our infrastructure is managed via Terraform, and we’ve built a custom CLI that automates deployments, automates parts of the development and allow for easy troubleshooting and local development.
A big part of the role is to continue building on top of those existing tools and to bring new ones that would fit our environment and needs.
2 main rules:
- Infrastructure as (reusable) code
- Automate all the things! 😜
Our team 👋 🗺
We’re a bunch of people from all over the world (Denmark, Philippines, France, Albania, Georgia, Pakistan, Sweden, India, UK and US) that care deeply about making educational experiences more engaging. Our developers have previously lead teams that have built things like the Georgian version of Youtube (myvideo.ge with 2.5 million monthly unique viewers) and a novel way to share and view 3D medical images (TissueStack), so beyond focusing on creating a supportive and collaborative environment where features get shipped quickly, we also have quite a bit of experience.
You’ll be working closely with your team so we thought you should hear from two of your future team members, Oliver and Brice.
We are backed by a world-class team of investors such as Project A, Nordic Makers (an angel group including Co-founders of Unity and Zendesk) and executives from LinkedIn and IBM.
Our tech stack 💾🛠
We only use the bleeding edge tools to build educational infrastructure of the 21st century. We’ve explained it in more detail in this blog post, but here’s a quick overview of what we’re building with:
- React (and React Native)
- Microservices backends with Node.js and AWS
- Mongo, Redis and others dbs
For DevOps in particular, you’ll be working with tools like
- Terraform (‘infrastructure as code’)
- Multiple database types
- Our internal CLI
Working at Aula 🗽🎢
We think the most important variable in choosing a job is getting the chance to work on complex and important problems with friendly and curious people in a collaborative environment.
But beyond that, joining Aula also means
- A rare opportunity to build a DevOps setup from the ground up
- Being part of a fast-paced and mission-driven startup made up of a creative, friendly and international team.
- Plenty of responsibility, autonomy and encouragement to shape your own tasks and contribute original ideas.
- A supportive environment with an intense focus on learning and improvement
You’ll be doing pair programming, have one-on-ones where we speak about how to develop you both as a programmer and a leader, and occasionally jump on a video call and share a ‘remote meal’ while a team member speaks about a topic they care about.
Interview process 👌
Interview processes don’t need to be scary and stressful for us to be able to pick out those of you that would fit in the best at Aula. We decided to make most of our process async to match the work we work - and to foster a community amongst job candidates 🗺️
Here’s the breakdown:
- Stage 1: Answer questions about your background and experience (async in Slack)
- Stage 2: Discuss with Oliver (our CTO) how you would build a hypothetical app (async in Slack)
- Stage 3: Do a ~4 hour technical test in your own time (on the weekend if you’d like).
- Stage 4: Explain the thinking behind your test to Oliver (video conference)
- Stage 5: Meet the team (video conference)
If both parties feel comfortable, we’ll then give you an offer to join us. The whole process takes place over the course of around 14 days, in your own time. Please start your application with the words ‘I breathe semicolons’ to show that you took your time to read all of this 🐣
Look forward to hearing from you,
The Aula team 🚀
About you 👩🚀👨🚀
The most important thing about you is that you are curious and care deeply about building great products that affect people’s lives. You are excited about joining a startup with all the ups and downs that entails. You are transparent, reliable and considerate. You are excited about shipping quickly. You are excited about trying out the newest technologies. You are ready to work hard to further our mission.
Beyond this, our requirements are:
- A passion for making developers’ lives easier and happier
- Thorough knowledge of CI/CD Tooling
- Programming experience in Node.js
- Comfortable with infrastructure as code and deployment to public clouds
- Extensive experience in designing Unix/Linux system architecture
- Deep expertise in deploying cloud solutions (AWS etc)
- Solid experience with containerisation technologies (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience with Terraform and other Hashicorp products.
- Experience with production databases management and deployments
- You live within GMT-5 and GMT+5.5 (from South America/Central US time to India, Pakistan and some of Russia) for us to be awake at the same time.