Head of Development
About the Job:
We are growing rapidly at Scrapinghub with an ever increasing demand for our Products and Professional Services. This is a newly created position within our Professional Services team in recognition of importance of focusing on our truly excellent team of Python developers who are at heart of what we do. We are looking for a Technical leader with experience of building and developing great development teams on a global basis. This individual will be required to bring technical mentorship, create a culture of engineering excellence whilst building the organisation structure and career development strategies to underpin this objective.
Due to business requirements, only candidates based in a European timezone will be considered.
You are a strong communicator and motivator of people, to ensure that the Development team at Scrapinghub is a unified and cohesive group who deliver excellent outcomes for our customers using our best-in-class Products. The development and continuous improvement of best practices and standards is a key objective of this role.
This individual will have the following as core responsibilities of the position, organisation across three main areas:
- Bring Technical leadership and mentoring to the team, driving a ‘standards’ agenda for PS including development standards, code reviews, code release standards etc - all with the objective of bringing great consistency and repeatability to project delivery.
- Responsible for Technical governance on projects - define and roll out of a set of practices that Technical/Project Leads in adhere to and follow to identify technical risks early and apply the appropriate remedies (or bring in additional assistance). and reviews to resolve these.
- Work with our Solution Architecture team on new project estimation to ensure that estimates are reviewed and acting as a sign-off on non-standard or higher risk engagements. Ensuring we have a good feedback loop in place to ensure learnings from projects are factored into future estimates techniques.
- Drive and oversee our Open Source contributions which is a fundamental part of our DNA at Scrapinghub.
- Define and own a set of Technical KPIs which inform how well the development team is performing.
- Act as a point of escalation both internally for PMs if technical issues arise on their project and externally with customers on technical manners.
- Responsible for all Developers within Professional Services (PS) team from a line management perspective. All Development Management and Technical Leads will report to this role.
- Continuous focus on organisation optimisation throughdefinition of the team structure, composition, location, competencies and profile mix. Working closely with the Head of PS and HR on strategies and to achieve this.
- Drive training and career development initiatives within the team with the support of HR and other Training partners. Ensure that each developer has a training plan and is regularly reviewed as part of overall performance management.
- Represent the PS organisation at our internal Product Steering ensuring that PS requirements for Crawlera, Splash and other Scrapinghub products are prioritised appropriately.
- Participate and contribute to an overall PS Management team.
- Work closely with peers within PS (PMO, PMs, QA, SA) and Sales to ensure an integrated approach to capacity planning based on current and future pipeline of projects
- A degree in Computer Science or equivalent - information technology, management information systems, software engineering and networking
- At least 10 years’ experience in software development with at least 4-5 years expect of managing developer / development teams.
- Experience with Python programming would be an advantage. But a background in software development is key.
- Experience of running geographically distributed team and working in remote-working environment would be a benefit
- Experience in presenting ideas, influencing, and build consensus in a group setting.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate at both technical and senior levels.