Backend Software Engineer
What we're looking for
LaterPay is looking for a full time Backend Software Engineer to join our distributed tech team. You’ll work on various backend applications, building new features, as well as maintaining and fixing existing code.
We’re looking to hire someone at a senior engineer level or higher. At LaterPay, a senior engineer is expected to:
- Translate ideas into projects with discrete tasks.
- Give guidance & unblock others on their team/area.
- Be sought out by others as a technical resource.
- Provide mentorship to other members of the engineering team
- Seek design/architecture or specialized input when needed (and know when it’s needed).
- Make good, informed decisions around technical debt and tradeoffs.
- Communicate with non-technical team members to give technical advice.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Working within a cross functional team of Product Managers, UX designers and frontend engineers to understand the requirements and scope that drive the design of technical solutions
* You will potentially act as tech lead on one of our teams
- Contributing clean, functional and tested code
- Setting up and managing appropriate tooling
- Documentation of new features and contributing to the documentation of existing ones
- Finding and addressing performance issues throughout the application
- Helping to identify and fix bugs and issues
Our ideal candidate has:
- Experience with Python and its ecosystems
- Experience with or exposure to some other tools which exist in our projects: Cassandra, PostgreSQL and React
- Be comfortable running as well as developing applications
- Experience with "zero downtime" deployments / migrations
- Experience with performance testing
- A good surface/contextual-level understanding of “the full web stack”
* We don’t expect you to know the mechanics of a DNS SOA record, for example, but knowing the right tool to use for a given task is important, as is knowing enough to start asking helpful question
- A good command of written English
* Communication is vital, especially as a distributed team, where most tools we use don’t communicate tone or body language.
- Experience with team leadership
We at LaterPay are proud to be at the forefront of the digital awakening by pushing for an Internet of choice that empowers both content providers and consumers. We are part of the solution by providing essential tools for the Internet of choice. Our mission is to make it super easy and convenient for users to access content. Providing a running tab for all digital purchases across websites, currencies and platforms, and eliminating upfront registration and payment, is just the beginning.
In our process, when a visitor reaches paid content or services, instead of having to complete a form and hand over a credit card, the user simply agrees to pay later and gets instant access to content. We track the user's content consumption, and after a monetary threshold is reached, we collect payment. By decoupling purchases from payments, LaterPay lowers the entry thresholds for users to consume digital goods. Our partners see a significant uplift in purchase conversions and simplify their billing and collections while offering a better user experience.
How we work
LaterPay has around 50 people spread over 12+ countries in time zones from UTC-8 to UTC+2. We’re a distributed team, though we have offices in Munich (DE) and New York (US).
We care more about the things you do than your presence at a chair at a desk at 9am every day. That said, most of us work Monday - Friday from 9ish UTC to 6ish UTC, and ideally you’ll overlap at least 4 hours with that. We try to be as asynchronous as possible, but still feel that we need some “synchronicity” to work well.
If this sounds interesting, please apply here and let us know in your cover letter what you bring to the table: https://laterpay-jobs.personio.de/job/90894
We will be accepting applications until October 16th, 2018.
Up to €75,000 / year
How to apply?
Apply on our careers site: https://laterpay-jobs.personio.de/job/90894