This job has been posted a while ago and might no longer be available.
Backend Engineer (AWS) (m/f)
Millions of people discover nature with our apps: We help our users find great places and the best routes for cycling and hiking. To help us continue to do so, we are looking for a passionate backend engineer to build the future of outdoor guides with us—and to inspire people to explore more of the great outdoors every day.
As a lean startup, we aim for impact and look for pragmatic solutions based on the latest infrastructure and platforms. As komoot’s next backend engineer, you know the importance of self-healing and scaling systems, you build your software stack accordingly—and you always find simple solutions to complex problems.
Your key responsibilities
- Implement new features closely together with our web and mobile developers, designers, copywriters and product managers.
- Keep our system state-of-the-art and resilient as load and features increase.
- Join the challenge of operating an auto-scaling fleet of 50+ EC2 instances, SQS, DynamoDb, Lambda, Kinesis and more, all within the AWS universe.
- Build new and improve existing micro-services, primarily in Java or Kotlin.
Why you will love it
- You’ll work on a global product that inspires millions of users.
- You’ll get system access on your first day as we know you are a smart and responsible engineer.
- You’ll take ownership over your projects from day one (from concept to implementation; testing, deployment and monitoring).
- You’ll be offered ample opportunity to consistently improve your skills and stay up-to-date with the latest technologies.
- You’ll work with komoot’s entire backend team on the full system: You’ll constantly contribute to the big picture rather than just a subsystem
- We believe good ideas count more than hierarchies.
- You’ll work together with enthusiastic engineers, hikers and cyclists.
- We let you work from wherever you want, be it a beach, the mountains, our headquarters in Potsdam or anywhere that lies between the time zones UTC-1 and UTC+3
You will be successful in this position if you
- Are highly self-driven, responsible and keen to learn and improve.
- Know your toolkit: git, ssh, bash, junit, jenkins, docker and AWS.
- Have deep experience (4+ years) in developing distributed and resilient web applications.
- Know which pattern, framework and infrastructure can best solve your problem.
- Live and breathe DevOps and believe in automated testing, infrastructure as code, immutable infrastructure, continuous deployment, monitoring and open communication
Sound like you?
Then send us the following:
- Your CV
- Why you are interested in working at komoot
- Examples of your work (e.g. GitHub, PDFs, Slideshare, etc.)
- A little extra information about you, be it your OpenStreetMap contributions, your Twitter, Tumblr or Flickr profile, or your website. We want to see what you’re interested in!