This job has been posted a while ago and might no longer be available.
UI Tech Lead - Kibana Elasticsearch
At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. We unite Elasticians across 35 countries (and counting!), 18 timezones and 30 different languages into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
About The Role
Elasticsearch, our core product, is an open source, clustered search engine based highly scalable data store. A wide range of industry and government clients use it to solve real-time data analysis problems of all kinds.
Kibana is the data query and visualization UI that we provide to help users communicate and share their analysis with their colleagues and customers. But it’s more than that; Kibana is the platform on which we’re building integrated user experiences for our solutions, including Machine Learning, Application Performance Monitoring, and more. Eventually, we want Kibana to become an ecosystem where partners and third parties can build their own applications on the Elastic stack.
Some of the things you'll work on
- Helping to define the architecture of Kibana and the roadmap to implement it
- Evaluating new technology, making recommendations on technological solutions, and establishing a technological vision for Kibana
- Identify current areas of needed improvement in our product architecture and design methodologies.
- Bring a pragmatic approach to our current technology stack, with an eye toward improving maintainability, testability, and reliability of our product offerings. Lead the effort to implement changes based on your analysis
- Leading technical discussions and requirements analysis with partners and customers to drive alignment with customer needs
- Reviewing and approving implementation designs for core features of Kibana
- Communicating and evangelizing the Kibana architecture roadmap internally and with the community
- Collaborating with other Tech Leads on the Kibana team and across Elastic to align priorities and roadmaps, and make appropriate technology choices and compromises
- Guiding the Kibana team and other UI teams using the Kibana platform on best practices and help them to stay aligned with the Kibana architecture roadmap
- Advising Elastic’s leadership team on emerging and important UI/UX technologies and industry trends
- Representing company at conferences and networking events
- Contributing code where it is tactically important or demonstrates a new direction via POC’s and prototypes
- Reviewing code for critical implementations to ensure they achieve their architecture goals
- Interviewing and hiring engineers for the team
- Mentoring engineers and sub-Tech Leads
- Technical leadership role with a Data Visualization, Business Intelligence, Systems Monitoring, Log Analysis, Search Engine, SIEM or APM product
- Previous architect or technical lead experience on large projects with high level of autonomy ie: more than 20 engineers and multiple years and releases
- Familiar with build tools such as webpack and grunt
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, a great teammate with strong analytical, problem solving, debugging and troubleshooting skills
- Direct experience with our technology stack Linux, Windows, iOS, multiple browsers, Node.js, React, Redux and building full stack applications with REST APIs, databases and distributed services
Nice to have
- Experience with a statically typed language (e.g. TypeScript, Flow, Go, Java, etc)
- Experience using or managing the Elastic Stack and Kibana
- Record of inheriting existing medium-to-large scale projects
- Have worked on software that is distributed as installable artifacts (not a SaaS)
- Have worked on software with a plugin system
- Experience running or significantly contributing to an open source project
Engineering a highly complex distributed system that is easy to operate via elegantly designed APIs is a non-trivial effort. It requires solid software development skills, and more importantly, a sharp mind and the ability to think like a user. We also care deeply about giving you full ownership of what you’re working on. Our company fundamentally believes great minds achieve greatness when they are set free and are surrounded and challenged by their peers, which is clearly visible in our organization. At Elastic, we effectively don’t have a hierarchy to speak of. We feel that anyone needs to be in the position to comment on truly anything, regardless of his or her role within the company.
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.