This job has been posted a while ago and might no longer be available.
Remote, permanent, full-time (40h/week) position
If you have a soft spot for bootstrapped, profitable companies with a meaningful product, and you would like to hone your cutting edge product design skills in a refreshing work environment, you might quite like this rare new position at Drops.
Drops’ goal is to turn language learning into a delightful game while ensuring effective learning. Drops is one of the top10 most innovative education companies according to FastCompany. Our app is in the Appstore for 3+ years, teaches 32 languages, was featured by both the App Store and Play Store multiple times - App of the Year in 2018 on the Play Store - and the company is still run by the founders. We are a small, super-capable remote team mainly spread across Europe (we have a small marketing crew in California) . We’re working synchronously, so time zones matter for us. We communicate via Slack, Github and Monday. We want to be the no.1 app for vocabulary learning and we are getting there quickly with our current user base of 17 million, a monthly active of >1,500,000 and an average store rating of 4.7.
You can find us here: http://drops.app.link/
✨ What makes us different
- We’re a small team. We optimise for impact, not headcount.
- We carefully consider tradeoffs in product, technology and processes that could lead to increased complexity.
- We use React Native on the frontend, hence we have no separate Android, iOS and Web team.
- We don’t believe in hierarchy. Autonomy, ownership and passion are the secret ingredients behind Drops. Clear, honest communication is the linchpin of our culture, success and independence.
🦹♂️ Skills and experience You have:
- Available during European working hours: 9AM - 6PM GMT
- Passionate about app design (both iOS and Android), motion and your craft.
- Fluent in Adobe products and Sketch
- Able to self organise and communicate clearly in English - both verbally and in text
- Comfortable working alone, autonomously in a remote environment
- Have experience working with development teams
- Capable and have a degree or postgraduate design orientated qualification OR have equivalent work experience.
- Love both strategy and hands-on UX.
- Active in seeking feedback and able to constantly challenge yourself and others.
- Bonus points if you are able to demonstrate experience with one or more of the core skills the team employes daily at Drops be that marketing, search optimisation, coding, user testing, language learning, education, game creation/gamification, iconography etc...
👀 Here’s what we’re currently after:
- Willing to dedicate yourself to long-term cooperation
- Working on high-level UX problems as well as specific UI solutions related to growth and core product experiments and perhaps some simple graphic design bits.
- Taking part in setting the product priorities, helping to guide the development of Drops.
- Drops is a UI design intensive product. You'll help out in establishing and following the Drops design system/guidelines with the goal to keep our product consistent and the design debt low.
- Acting as a project lead. This means organising project kick-offs, framing project opportunities and overseeing the conversation and collaboration during projects.
- Drawing design implications - creating rapid prototypes - out of quickly moving business requirements. We are looking for a type of designer who has very high standards but at the same time is OK shipping design concepts quickly if needed.
- Explaining and rationalising your design concepts to the team through annotations and remote presentations. Be the voice of both our customers and our business.
- Working as part of an agile-inspired team owning key pieces of functionality and juggling priorities from one sprint to the other.
- Drawing upon existing design standards and pattern libraries, as well as identifying opportunities to expand them where necessary.
- Producing sketches, wireframes, flows or interactive prototypes to depict proposed functionality to the team or potential users.
- Running casual hands-on user testing sessions.
- Organise and manage remote usability testing
- Besides our flagship product, Drops, you might work on other apps in our portfolio - Scripts, Droplets - which are all related to the flagship app.
- 🌍 All the perks of remote working
- 👥 An awesomely compact 20 person team
- 🧠 Yearly educational allowance
- 💪 Fitness allowance
- 💻 High-end Apple hardware and ergonomic accessories
- 🏖 30 days of holiday per year (including Xmas and other holidays)
- ✈️ Quarterly team gathering somewhere in the world (Amsterdam, Reykjavík, Lisbon and Budapest were previous locations)